EMDRIA-Approved "EMDR Basic Training" -- the complete course, including all parts as well as the required consultation.
49 CEs (optional)
This is a hands-on clinical skills training for using EMDR and integrating it with your psychotherapy approach -- with adults as well as children. This research-supported top-of-the-line training program features:
- Exceeds EMDRIA's criteria for EMDR basic training.
- No "Parts" or "Levels" -- this is the whole package.
- 52 contact hours over several months to support mastery.
- Two full pre-EMDR days on trauma treatment approach and interventions.
- Small group size (max of 30, most courses smaller).
- Instructor to participant ratio of at least 1:10.
- Text book and other materials included.
- Follow-up group consultation sessions included.
- Competitive cost.
- On-site training option minimizes travel costs for your group.
The training program involves lecture, demonstration, in-class practice, and on-the-job practice with your clients. This is an experiential training, and part of the learning is to practice the interventions with other participants.
Training can be provided at your location. Scheduling is flexible and can be designed to suit the needs of your organization or group.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify clients who are ready for EMDR; and prepare clients for EMDR.
- Conduct an EMDR session.
- Problem-solve a session that is not going smoothly.
- Utilize EMDR with a wide range of clients whose presenting problems are in some way related to trauma and/or loss.
- Integrate EMDR into a comprehensive trauma-informed treatment approach.
Instructors: Ricky Greenwald, PsyD | Andrew Seubert, LPC | Mary L. Froning, PsyD | Annie Monaco, LCSW-R | Judy Greenberg, MEd | Kriss Jarecki, LCSW-R
Greenwald, R. (2007). EMDR Within A Phase Model Of Trauma-Informed Treatment. NY: Haworth. (included with course materials)
Shapiro, F. (2001). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic principles, protocols, and procedures, 2nd Edition. NY: Guilford.
Who may attend: EMDR training is open to mental health professionals who are licensed (or certified or registered) by their state for independent practice. The training is also open to advanced graduate students, interns, and other mental health professionals on a licensure track, with a letter of support from their supervisor. The Trauma Institute/Child Trauma Institute or the Registrar of your local training can answer your questions regarding eligibility for training.
- Fall/Winter 2014/15, Buffalo, NY. Dates: October 29-30, 2014; December 4-5; December 8-9; January 14, 2015 (9 to 3 only); February 11 (9-3). Instructor: Annie Monaco, LCSW-R. Contact Annie Monaco for pre-approval prior to registering. Sorry, wait-list only, e-mail us to be put on the wait-list.
- Winter 2014/15, Buffalo, NY. Dates: December 17-18, 2014; January 22-23, 2015; January 26-27; February 25 (9 to 3 only); March 25 (9-3). Instructor: Annie Monaco, LCSW-R. Contact Annie Monaco for pre-approval prior to registering.
- Winter/Spring, 2015, San Carlos, CA. January 22-23; February 18-21; March 20; April 17 (morning only). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructors: Ricky Greenwald, PsyD & Lori Carter, ASW.
- Winter/Spring, 2015, Washington, DC area. Dates: February 21-22, 2015; March 7 (9-11 only; can be attended via phone or skype); March 21-22; 28-29; April 25 (9-1:30); May 30 (9-1:30). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Mary L. Froning, PsyD. Go to Dr. Froning's web site for schedule and registration info.
- Spring, 2015, Northampton, MA. March 16-17; April 13-16; May 11; June 8 (morning only). Co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars. Instructor: Ricky Greenwald, PsyD.
Otherwise, only closed trainings are scheduled (e.g. for an agency or institution). To schedule a training for your group, contact the Trauma Institute/Child Trauma Institute. Individuals may also organize trainings and receive a discount on tuition.
A note about the cost of training and why to choose this training: At about $1,500/participant, this training represents a considerable investment. The cost is so high because of the instructor:participant ratio and the number of hours. At some locations a bit is added to cover instructor travel. Even so, the cost is considerably less than comparable programs, while offering more materials, small group size, and the 10 consultation hours that are required for completion of EMDR training. Also, the Trauma Institute/Child Trauma Institute trainings can be offered at your location, reducing or eliminating your travel-related costs.
Most importantly, though, this training is designed to maximize your ability to get good at doing EMDR, and at conducting treatment so that EMDR can be used appropriately. EMDR is a complex intervention that takes a lot of training and supervised practice to really master. We pioneered the full-package EMDR training, which has become the standard nationwide. We believe that our program represents an excellent value for your training investment.
When shopping for an EMDR basic training program, it's important to compare quality, cost, and rates of completion. These all vary quite a bit, and a training program that looks good at first glance may have extensive hidden costs and/or poor completion rates. A "good deal" is not so good if the investment is wasted.
- Quality. We believe our program is of the highest quality, and our training model has been widely emulated. However, there are no data that directly demonstrate the superiority of any EMDR basic training program over another.
- Cost. The cost of our program is all up front and transparent, and includes the text book and all required consultation. This is the full package; there are no additional costs.
- Rates of Completion. Since we started keeping track in 2004, of the 700+ therapists who joined one of our EMDR basic training programs, 98.4% completed on schedule (typically within 4-8 months) and 99.1% completed within the following year (typically within 18 months), as of 9/2013.
Certification in EMDR: The EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) offers a Certification credential for advanced EMDR-trained therapists. Certification requires completion of an EMDRIA-approved basic training program (such as this one), practice with clients, EMDR-focused consultation, and continuing education approved by EMDRIA. Information about Certification can be found on the EMDRIA web site.